Re: Using MATE's workspaces effectively

On 02/16/2018 02:51 PM, songbird wrote:
Richard Owlett wrote:
What I would like would be to have differing sets of applications
available in each workspace.

   i understood you the first time you wrote that.

<groan> and/or <grin>
I beg to differ ;<

In my initial post I attempted to describe what I wanted.
In my last post I gave a concrete {even if contrived} example of goal.

This time I'll borrow from set theory.
*CAVEAT LECTOR* Last time I saw set theory was in <Logic 101 "An Introduction to Logic"> circa 1962.
Currently all workspaces have icons to access *_identical sets_* of
applications.

This may be crux of issue.
I used "set" in the set theory sense.
I said *nothing" about what was open anywhere/anywhen.
IOW
WORKSPACE1's desktop displays only launch icons from SETalpha
WORKSPACE2's desktop displays launch icons from SETbeta and SETgamma
WORKSPACE3's desktop displays only launch icons from the intersection of SETomicron and SETzeta

   something is set to do that then, because i can set all of
my workspaces with different applications open in each of them.

   do you have "Always on Visible Workspace" set instead of
"Only on this Workspace"?  [right click on window or on item
at the bottom of the screen...]

   i never shutdown without checking all desktops for things that
need to be saved.  but more importantly remember that if you
don't use shutdown after the first time it will restart them all
as you had them when you did shutdown.

   my normal end of session routine is to use the "shutdown -h now"
command as root which kills everything and does not alter what is
opened next time.

   when i want to make changes to my desktops then i do use
the menu shutdown and that then records the changes as
desired.

   songbird