Re: wiki

On Friday 16 February 2018 10:38:49 Greg Wooledge wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 16, 2018 at 10:30:31AM -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > On Friday 16 February 2018 07:08:57 Rodary Jacques wrote:

> > > I first had this message on  https://wiki.debian.org, then on
> > > various problems.
> >
> > Old but uptodate wheezy install here. firefox had no problems
> > navigating the site.
> > Perhaps your http->S<- is defective somehow.
>
> The original message was so incredibly vague that it could mean
> anything.
>
> But.
>
> If the actual complaint is "I get 403 Forbidden on
> https://wiki.debian.org"; then we need additional detail: what version
> of Debian the OP is using, what browser, and any unusual aspects of
> the OP's network that could be relevant (workplace firewall, China
> firewall, etc.).
>
> There have been several similar complaints in #debian IRC over the
> last year or two, with random people coming in and saying that they
> get a "403 Forbidden" on the Debian wiki, but the one thing they all
> have in common is a LACK OF DETAIL.
>
> At this point nobody knows how to diagnose the problem, because nobody
> who HAS the problem is willing or able to come forward and just say
> what is happening and why.  Is it a DNS resolution error, in which
> they're getting the wrong IP address?  Does the wiki or its front-end
> web server have a firewall that blacklists certain IP address ranges?
> Is it a web browser bug?  Nobody knows!

That also is spot on Greg. Which is why I specified my install in my
comment, but failed to mention it is a 32 bit install. Thats linuxcnc
driven because a context switch takes measurably longer on a 64 bit
system.

The changeover to 64 bit is forceing some of us to spend upwards of 200
dollars to offload some of linuxcnc's work to fpga cards because even
the rtai patched kernels just aren't fast enough to generate in
software, the steady step signals the stepper motors need.  Thats about
how much I have in the 4 card stack driving an 11x36 Sheldon lathe from
a raspberry pi-3b. But we still need IRQ responses in not less than
millisecond times. So we patch kernels, and on real machinery, then pin
them so the software updater cannot kill the machine. But I think that
has been discussed here previously.

--
Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)