Re: hostname

David Wright wrote:
> On Thu 15 Feb 2018 at 09:38:06 (-0500), Greg Wooledge wrote:
>> On Thu, Feb 15, 2018 at 01:40:17PM -0000, bolakim53@mail2tor.com wrote:
>> > 	* i did not find a map, a table about that.
>
> There are several lists of "most popular" hostnames. I guess they're
> dominated by servers, and often they're aliases, like www, rather than
> the name of the machine(s) offering the service.
> Even allowing for that, I would imagine that there are server farms
> where most of the hostnames are systematically generated, meaningful
> names rather than the memorable names that we ornery folk would use.
> In spite of that, planets and suchlike always do well.

For customer deploys, I like a variation of CLLI codes, based on customer
name (I do contract work sometimes) -- so having

CMPY[STE]DEV##

So when say a switch at Cool-Widgets, LLC. bites the dust, the monitor
will email with something like "CLWTWHSW01" (Cool Widgets
Warehouse, Switch 01).

--
|_|O|_| Registered Linux user #585947