Re: MIDI-to-USB on Debian?

On Tue, Feb 13, 2018 at 05:59:19PM -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Tuesday 13 February 2018 16:00:20 Nicholas Geovanis wrote:
>
> > Does anyone have a MIDI-to-USB adapter they could recommend for Debian
> > and/or linux?
> > This is just for a point-to-point connection from a Yamaha keyboard to
> > a laptop. Software on the laptop remains undetermined, probably some
> > combination of Rhythmbox, CSound, Supercollider and god knows what
> > else. Thanks......Nick
>
> There may be such a critter, but expect to pay thru the nose for it, and
> that the midi timing may suffer critically.

Prices start at about $30, and get very fancy by the time you
hit a hundred.

> The usb chips are all optimized for std serial port speeds, but midi is
> not a std serial port speed, its 31,250 baud falling smack in the middle
> between 19,200, baud and 38,400 baud. I do not know of a usb chip that
> would recognize a 31,250 baud signal as anything but noise to be
> ignored.

That's why they have dedicated midi hardware on one end, and
dedicated USB hardware on the other hand. Getting 31.25Kbaud
across a 12Mb/s USB1 connection is not difficult. USB2 is 480
Mb/s, and so most of the time is going to be spent waiting for
MIDI events to come in.

-dsr-