Re: end of security support for wheezy LTS

On Tuesday 13 February 2018 09:28:06 David Wright wrote:

> On Tue 13 Feb 2018 at 11:03:29 (+0000), Adam Weremczuk wrote:
> > Hi all,
>
> Hello again,
>
> > Our PCI compliance scanner (probably falsely) claims it's
> > 2018-05-01.
> >
> > The Wikipedia page:
> > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Debian_version_history just says "May
> > 2018".
> >
> > Debian website:
> >
> > https://www.debian.org/releases/wheezy/
> > https://wiki.debian.org/LTS
> >
> > clearly states "end of May 2018".
> >
> > I'm treating the latter as the more reliable source.
> >
> > My related question:
> >
> > Is it likely for this date to still be moved forward or back?
> > Can it happen on a short notice (say less than a month)?
>
> No idea, but the people here may by closer to the action:
> https://wiki.debian.org/LTS/Contact
> They're all open lists.
>
> Cheers,
> David.

I noted one thing on the frexian pages, the prices for funding are in
euro's.  And since I run on dollars, would need an exchange rate.

Those prices would appear to be aimed at a corporate setting, as opposed
to something that a retiree on SS might be able to afford, nor is the
plea taken as being aimed at me. IMO this is a mistake. I am well aware
of the TANSTAAFL principle, and if the paperwork didn't drown them,
would be able to make an annual donation of perhaps $100 toward the
expenses of the LTS. Tain't much, but how many other old farts like me
would be willing to do likewise?

On a secondary note, I see armel and armhf? listed there, but what about
arm64 since there are now, shipping versions of arm64 out in the wild
for at least a year. I have 2 of the rock64's myself. Runs at about 3/4
the speed of this machine, which is a quad core phenom about 10 years
old, and once the drivers (dual mali gfx engines, high speed spi) have
been written, will easily take over from thousands of power slurping
wintel boxes controlling industrial machines.

Thats a $44 card, with 4GiB of installed dram. You are going to get more
and more requests as folks take note of the rock64.

--
Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)