Re: exim4 wont configure resolved

On Mon, Feb 12, 2018 at 09:46:42AM -0500, Marc Auslander wrote:
Problem was a complicated smarthost specification which exim4 is happy
to honor bug exim-config postinst could not grok.
error was:

+ RET=20 Unsupported command "${if" (full line was "${if
match{${lc:$header_subject:}}{MarcAtAuslanderDotNameWorkingCheck}{mail.optonline.net}\")
received from confmodule.

Issue may be use of continuation but I'm not sure about that.

Ouch.

I believe a lot of people who use Debian exim for more-complicated-than-
average-use-cases opt to avoid the Debian/debconf-generated exim
configuration machinery, at least once it has generated something to
begin working from.

To achieve this, one copies /var/lib/exim4/config.autogenerated to
/etc/exim4/exim4.conf and restarts the daemon.

From that point forward, you will not get the benefit of any
improvements made to the debconf-exim-config-generation machinery in
newer package versions, but it is quite static anyway. You would also
side-step bugs like the above.

--
Jonathan Dowland