Re: libgparted bug.

On Friday 09 February 2018 14:28:15 Brian wrote:

> On Fri 09 Feb 2018 at 10:52:08 -0800, Don Armstrong wrote:
> > On Fri, 09 Feb 2018, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > > I killed udev for /dev/sdd, gparted works now. But I really need a
> > > quicker way than editing a udev rule. I wonder if I could make
> > > udev aware that gparted was running.
> >
> > udev doesn't automount by default;[1] it's likely just exposing the
> > fact that a device has been inserted with specific parameters to
> > whatever (some DE?) is doing the automounting.
>
> Gene Heskett is probably using an outdated, unsupported version
> of Debian. etch, potato. squeeze, that sort of thing. So there is
> little point in looking for a fundamental cause of the observation.

Wheezy, up to date a/o yesterday. /dev/ssd is not in my /etc/fstab. Yes.
its old but not unsupported yet.

> On something more modern, udev will automount if the device is
> listed in /etc/fstab and is accessed. So not by default - but it
> can be arranged.
>
> > 1: At least, it doesn't here, and I haven't specifically changed
> > this configuration.
>
> LABEL=ARCHIVE-9 /media/ARCHIVE-9 vfat
> ro,gid=1000,fmask=0117,dmask=0007,noatime,noauto,user,x-systemd.automo
>unt,x-systemd.idle-timeout=5,x-systemd.device-timeout=1 0 0
>
> mounts the device and unmounts it five seconds after it is ceased
> to be used.
>
> A really nice feature of systemd. systemd.mount(5).

Sounds usefull. But I'm not there yet because of linuxcnc. I do have one
machine running jessie, on a pi, and that works well for any i/o that
doesn't have to go thru its internal usb2 hub. But keyboard and mouse
events are unarmed in that gateway, and only get thru around 95% of the
time. The fun part is the constant reboot until you hit a boot where it
works. But it may take 5 or 6 reboots to get to that condition. When it
works,
pi@picnc:~/linuxcnc/configs/sheldon-lathe $ uptime
 17:38:24 up 33 days, 21:55,  3 users,  load average: 0.23, 0.20, 0.17
uptimes are quite decent as above.

What I've seen of stretch has required a big piss-elm club to get it to
march to my drummer, but when thats been done, it marches very well
indeed. buildbot.Linuxcnc.org hasn't added an arm64 build to their
offerings, but this rock64 built it from src in under 45 minutes. And a
v4.14.15-rt13 kernel from vger built in:
real    98m19.596s
user    90m16.652s
sys     6m6.884s

And I'm probably building stuff it will never use yet.
The pi might be able to do that, but the times would like watching an oil
based paint dry, likely days instead of minutes.

That kernel above is why I need the copies, as no one has yet wrote a
kernel make install that works on a u-boot system. So that part will be
dragging both the spinning rust where that kernel is living, in here,
and figuring out how to erase whats there for ayufan's kernel, and put
my v4.14.15-rt13 bits and pieces in its place. But probably not yet
tonight as its dinner time and I need to go see what my dear woman wants
to eat. I am now her caretaker. She fell and broke a hip a year ago, but
is so far down with copd that there will not be a recovery even after it
was replaced. Dragging an oxygen hose, the 10 feet to a potty chair
takes a half hour to recover from. A Good Christian woman, she's
tolerated me for 29 years now.

This is the "till death do us part", part.

--
Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)