Re: libgparted bug.

Gene Heskett wrote:

> Trying to make a backup image of a 64GB bootable sdcard. Th os say its
> 59.b GB when it mounts the original, but pull copy to a file and its
> nearly a megabyte bigger than 64gigs.  So obviously the file is bigger
> than a brand new unformatted disk.

Hi Gene, you should know each partition has header or meta data, that is not
visible after mount. I can't recall where, but there was a document
(perhaps on Debian) that explained how the meta data looks like. So
basically with each partition operation you add a layer on top of the
physical device. For example you create a luks partition, it adds some meta
data (perhaps 1-2MB), you add a LVM on top it also adds some meta data, you
add the partition, it also adds some meta data.

The other concern could be that the 64GB are actually GB by 1000 (sales GB)
and not GiB.
For example my HDD and SSD report this

sudo fdisk -l /dev/sda
Disk /dev/sda: 465.8 GiB, 500107862016 bytes, 976773168 sectors

sudo fdisk -l /dev/sdb
Disk /dev/sdb: 465.8 GiB, 500107862016 bytes, 976773168 sectors

I bought 500GB which seems to be equivalent of 465.8 GiB

Why don't you tar.gz or tar.bz2 your data instead of pulling multiple
0-bytes into backup?

regards