Re: Ethernet is not started at boot

On Tue, Feb 06, 2018 at 11:00:12PM +0000, Brian wrote:
On Tue 06 Feb 2018 at 17:06:36 -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
On Tuesday 06 February 2018 14:07:55 Brian wrote:

> 1. auto enp0s25
>                                                  iface enp0s25 inet
> static address         192.168.0.202
>         netmask         255.255.255.0
>         gateway         192.168.0.1
>         network         192.168.0.0
>
> netmask and network are not needed. ifupdown will compute them. Note
> there are no examples in interfaces(5) which use these parameters.

You should go and read that man page again.

I didn't have to but I did. A line beginning "netmask" is not required".

If you don't specify a netmask it will default to something that was correct in the 80s and is probably wrong on your network. The "netmask line" isn't required, but if you don't have a netmask line you should specify the netmask in the address line (using "ip/netmask" syntax).

Mike Stone