Re: policy around 'wontfix' bug tag

On 2018-02-05 at 13:47, Brian wrote:

> On Mon 05 Feb 2018 at 10:24:14 -0500, The Wanderer wrote:

>> If there's an ongoing discussion on that mailing list, and one of
>> the participants wants to draw in a third person who also
>> subscribes, it's entirely appropriate to CC a reply to that third
>> party.
>
> Definitely (whether they are known to subscribe or not).
>
> Which brings us back to - how does one know someone is subscribed to
> a Debian mailing list?

I still fail to see why that's something we would need to know.

Whether or not the person who posted a given message is subscribed does
not change the correct replying behavior. In both cases, unless the
poster has in some way requested otherwise, replies should go to the
mailing list.

And, as you cite, the same "whether subscribed or not" applies equally
when deciding whether to CC in a new person to an ongoing discussion.

>> However, if this were to happen with me, I would not want to
>> receive *only* the mailing-list copy. I would want to receive both:
>> the mailing-list copy to go into my local archive of the mailing
>> list (and to be present in the mailing list's folder, so that it
>> appears properly threaded with other replies), and the direct copy
>> to draw my attention to the subject. (Although I would probably
>> then seek out the mailing-list copy and reply to that. But that's a
>> personal idiosyncrasy.)
>
> Seeking out is time-consuming. A recipe for automation is given in
> another post. It gives you everything you want.

If I'm correct in understanding which other post you're talking about:

I'm not sure that recipe does/would do everything I want, and it seems
to be specific to a mail client which I don't use and which I'm not sure
provides all the features / behaviors I want in a mail client.

It's still interesting for reference, if nothing else, however.

--
   The Wanderer