Re: policy around 'wontfix' bug tag

On 2018-02-05 at 09:32, David Wright wrote:

> On Mon 05 Feb 2018 at 08:40:27 (-0500), The Wanderer wrote:
>
>> On 2018-02-05 at 08:11, Vincent Lefevre wrote:

>>> You should set up a "Mail-Followup-To:" for that. This is
>>> entirely your problem.
>>
>> That does seem to be the trend and position of the world,
>> especially in recent years, but I disagree as a matter of
>> philosophy.
>>
>> A mailing list whose subscribers can post to it is a discussion
>> forum.
>>
>> Replies to a message which was posted to a discussion forum should,
>> by default, go back to that forum. If the poster wants the replies
>> to go somewhere else, it is that poster's responsibility to
>> indicate this fact, whether by message headers, signature comments,
>> explicit statements in the body of the message, or some other
>> means.
>>
>> This is just as true of offline fora as of online ones.
>>
>> Usenet got this right, IMO, and so did all the mailing lists I
>> remember participating in back before Web fora became a
>> vaguely-viable thing. I consider it a sad thing that the precedent
>> established there seems to have been abandoned since that time.
>
> If it really worries you, the answer might be ~/.procmailrc and

Unfortunately, I do not have my mail system set up such that mail passes
through a local procmail instance before it reaches me. My mail client
pulls mail directly from the remote server.

I am theoretically interested in the possibility of setting things up to
change that, but it's very much a back-burner low-priority interest,
which has never risen to the level of even figuring out how to start on
the actual project.

> :0 Wh: $HOME/msgid.lock
> | formail -D 199999 $HOME/msgid.cache
>
> I used it for years.

I don't parse this well enough to understand what it would do, and I
don't know where to find a procmail reference which would let me read up
on it easily enough to understand quickly. Could you clarify?

--
   The Wanderer