Re: Causes, cures and prevention of orphaned inodes?

On 06/02/18 07:32, David Wright wrote:
I'm not in the habit of upgrading BIOS/UEFI on my computers.
(I do have {amd64,intel}-microcode installed.) What old or
buggy code would I be running when booting a linux installation?
(I accept that Grub has to run, and the kernel and initramfs be
found, initially.)

Your BIOS/UEFI may perform boot-time memory training to adjust memory frequency and voltages. I think it might also be responsible for setting CPU and other chipset voltages during operation. These have a profound impact on system stability. I always upgrade my BIOS/UEFI to take advantage of any improvements recommended by the manufacturer.

Kind regards,

--
Ben Caradoc-Davies <ben@transient.nz>
Director