Re: Causes, cures and prevention of orphaned inodes?

On Sun, 04 Feb 2018, Stephen P. Molnar wrote:
> I am running Debian Stretch on am eight thread AMD GPU platform.
> Lately, it seems if I have been plagued by surfeit of orphaned nodes.

That means:

1. "unlinked" files or directories were still open when the filesystem
   had to be shutdown/made read-only.  Uncommon, unless you did something
   like breaking the system by having /run on something other than
   tmpfs, etc.

2. Filesystem corruption, most likely due to bad RAM.

3. Really unusual workload and usage (or *mis*usage ?) pattern that
   results in (1), perhaps involving VMs.

This assumes XFS or ext3/ext4, which seems to be your case.

> At first I though it might be impending hard drive failure as I started
> receiving warning messages from the OS, but installing a brand new
> drive has not solved the problem,  They seem to happen when I am
> running  four or more apps at the same time. I have 8GB of RAM in the
> system.

Test that RAM.

> Model name:            AMD FX(tm)-8320 Eight-Core Processor

Ensure you are running the latest AMD microcode on that processor:
Update the motherboard firmware (BIOS/UEFI) to the latest version
available from your vendor, and *also* install package amd64-microcode
from non-free.  Unless you're on the latest AMD microcode on the
FX-8300, you cannot even run VMs safely.  Who knows what else could be
broken...

--
  Henrique Holschuh