Re: Causes, cures and prevention of orphaned inodes?

On Sunday 04 February 2018 15:49:36 Stephen P. Molnar wrote:

> I am running Debian Stretch on am eight thread AMD GPU platform.
> Lately, it seems if I have been plagued by surfeit of orphaned nodes.
>
> I have goggled the causes. cures and prevention, but have gotten no
> results that make any sense to me. I've been using computer since the
> early 1960's but am an organic chemist by training and experience, not
> a hardware expert.
>
> At first I though it might be impending hard drive failure as I
> started receiving warning messages from the OS, but installing a brand
> new drive has not solved the problem,  They seem to happen when I am
> running  four or more apps at the same time. I have 8GB of RAM in the
> system.
>
> I've installed several tools, lscup and lsh, but in all candor I don't
> have the faintest idea what to make of the results. I'm not even sure
> if the results have any application to solutions for the problem.
>
> Can anyone give me some guidance in what I should be looking for?  It
> would be much appreciated.
>
> Thanks in advance.

Are you perchance running clamav? version 99.3's first release about 2
weeks back used up the available unix sockets, bricking the machine till
a reboot, wash, rinse, repeat. A new 99.3 has fixed that, but until that
filters thru the distro channels, you should shut clamav down. So I
have, and have commented out, the calls to inspect incoming emails out
of my .procmailrc.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)