Re: Kernel for Spectre and Meltdown

On 31 January 2018 at 23:13, Richard Hector <richard@walnut.gen.nz> wrote:
On 01/02/18 11:51, Michael Fothergill wrote:

> On 31 January 2018 at 22:46, Richard Hector <richard@walnut.gen.nz
> <mailto:richard@walnut.gen.nz>> wrote:
>
>     On 01/02/18 11:20, Michael Fothergill wrote:
>     > As it turns out I have installed debian on a usb before and booted it up
>     > successfully.
>     > It did occur to me that you could advise the new users to buy a
>     > raspberry pi computer
>     > and use that to run sid and then install the kernel on my from it.
>     >
>     > Then I would have one machine which apparently cannot be infected with
>     > meltdown and spectre
>     > with both sid and the spectre enabled kernel on it (raspberry pi) due
>     > its architecture
>
>     A complicated and expensive solution. The Pi being a different
>     architecture means you'd need to take extra steps to cross-compile the
>     kernel. A virtual machine, chroot, container or whatever is much cheaper
>     and simpler.
>

> ​I agree.  It's much a better idea.  But we were actively trying to be
> dumb in these exchanges for a bit of fun......

Ah ... well in that case, why not cross-compile on a Windows box? :-)

​Now that is getting creative.....​

​The ultimate would be if you could do it on a quantum computer......​

​MF​

I guess firing up an AWS or Linode or something sounds much too sane (it
might even be easier than setting up a local VM, depending where your
capabilities lie).

Richard