Re: Kernel for Spectre and Meltdown

On Tue, 30 Jan 2018 09:31:01 +0000
Michael Fothergill <michael.fothergill@gmail.com> wrote:

> ​In the recent MVE thread , I had asked if I could compile the spectre
> fix kernel in Sid and move to buster (I thought moving down to
> stretch would likely not be practical).
>
> The response from Greg was the following:
>
> On Thu, Jan 25, 2018 at 12:36:46PM +0000, Michael Fothergill wrote:
> > ​If I become sid and install the kernel correctly, could I go back to
> being
> > just buster (sounds like an energy drink) and carry on using the new
> kernel?
>
> No.
>
> *******************
>
> At that point I really did seem that:
>
> 1. I had no choice but to become sid/unstable here.

I can only guess of course, I think probably they figured you would
upgrade your system to Sid, then compile a kernel and then *downgrade*
the system again to buster. The answer to that would clearly be "no".
But running a kernel compiled on a *different* Sid system on buster or
stretch is an entirely different thing of course.

Regards

Michael

It [being a Vulcan] means to adopt a philosophy, a way of life which is
logical and beneficial.  We cannot disregard that philosophy merely for
personal gain, no matter how important that gain might be.
		-- Spock, "Journey to Babel", stardate 3842.4