Re: Playing or Ripping UDF CDs Under jessie

Hi,

allthough it quite works now, there remain some riddles to me in your report.

Martin McCormick wrote:
> There were 6 CD's in the book and the first 4
> all had that spoiler file in track 0 and audio files the rest of
> the way to LOUT.

Normally track counting begins by 1. Sometimes at a higher number.
Which program reports about track 0 ? What exactly does it report ?

If it's cdparanoia, then track00 is not from an ordinary track
but from a "pre-gap track". The term is new to me. Google brings me to
  https://web.archive.org/web/20130529085310/http://blowfish.be/eac/Rip/rip11-hidden.html
(Only good that i'm not into audio ripping.)

> For some reason, the last two disks had no
> tracks labelled Audio and all 15 or 20 tracks were labelled as
> "Control."

Which program reports this and what does it report exactly ?

> The track00 short file probably had
> data in it to "tell" a player to handle the rest as audio.

I would be interested to see the content of such a file.
Could you please send it to me ? (In private if it is larger than a
few single KB. No need to clog the list.)

> I am not totally sure what the manufacturers hoped to
> achieve since it didn't take any real skill to crack once one
> knows how.

The Table-of-Content of the CD you showed looks quite normal.
No hidden intentions to see.

But as we can see from discussions of hardcore audio rippers, the
situation can become quite interesting if the sub-channels of the
CD bear unusual data.

The SCSI specs (MMC-5) say about CD media:
A block (or sector or Big Frame) consists of 98 "Small Frames" which
each carry 24 payload bytes, 8 bytes error correction info, and
1 byte of sub-channel info. The bit number 6 of each sub-channel byte
belongs to the "Q-sub-channel", which encodes track number, sector
layout of the track (Control), and other meta-info.
So mad sub-channel can well cause mad drive behavior.

Have a nice day :)

Thomas