Re: comment and new question--when do upgrades take effect (was: Re: Kernel for Spectre and Meltdown)

On Mon, 29 Jan 2018 08:18:35 -0500
rhkramer@gmail.com wrote:

> On Monday, January 29, 2018 03:35:58 AM Michael Fothergill wrote:
> > On 29 January 2018 at 07:52, Dextin Jerafmel <jerafmel@yahoo.com>
> > wrote:
> > > I tried to search for available Kernel images but there isn't any
> > > newer Kernel than 4.9.0.5
>
> > ​Your need to upgrade to unstable (Debian Sid).  Then you need to get
> > the latest kernel from the kernel.org website.
>
> I just want to emphasize that you don't need to upgrade to unstable
> (Debian Sid).
>
> See the response in this thread from Bastien Durel.
>
> Also, iiuc, the fixes for Spectre and Meltdown have been
> "backported" (probably not the right word) to Wheezy (which is my
> "everyday" machine).  If I'm wrong about that, somebody can let me know.

I think this is only true for the Meltdown fix ("page tables isolation"),
for the Spectre fix ("retpoline") work is apparently in progress.

Regards

Michael

[Doctors and Bartenders], We both get the same two kinds of customers
-- the living and the dying.
		-- Dr. Boyce, "The Menagerie" ("The Cage"), stardate
unknown