Re: Stretch stuck on boot

On 28/01/2018 20:25, tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:

On Sun, Jan 28, 2018 at 02:04:54PM +0000, Daniel Nemenyi wrote:
Dear all,

My laptop has for the second time got stuck on boot, and a seemingly
random number of hard reboots has been necessary to get it running. This
obviously worries me. I'm running Debian Stretch with full disk
encryption and, after grub, this is what happens:

  WARNING: Failed to connect to lvmetad. Falling back to device scanning.

FWIW, I think this one is normal: the LVM metadata daemon isn't up yet
at this early stage (I can observe that warning in my boot process too).

  Volume group "hostname-vg" not found
  Cannot process volume group hostname-vg

Normal too: they will be there after cryptsetup unlocks things down
there:

Please unlock sda3_crypt: # password inserted
  WARNING: Failed to connect to lvmetad. Falling back to device scanning.
  Reading all physical volumes. This may take a while...
  Found volme group "hostname-vg" using metadata type lvm2
  WARNING: Failed to connect to lvmetad. Falling back to device scanning.
  2 logical volume(s) in volume group "hostname-vg" now active.
cryptsetup (sda3_crypt): set up successfully
/dev/mapper/hostname--vg-root: clean 927829/14712832, 50294056/58823680
blocks.

Up to this, things look pretty normal.

At that point it gets stuck. The other time this happened the numbers
were different (lower)

When it does eventually boot, the next lines are:
[48.862647] nouveau 0000:04:00.0: bus: MMIO write of 0000807f FAULTat 100c18
[48.945694] nouveau 0000:04:00.0: bus: MMIO write of 0000807e FAULTat 100c1c
... and then normal boot.

Is this a sign of the end of my laptop or SSD or is there something I
can do?

Given the intermittent nature, I'd lean towards flaky hardware (not
necessarily the SSD). What happens if you try to boot from an external
medium (e.g. a rescue system on a stick)?

Ah, and while you are at it (and get your box to boot once more), make
a backup :)

Cheers
- -- tomás

Hi, looks like a Nouveau gpu driver problem, do you have a Nvidia graphic card in this laptop ? Do you use Nvidia frivers or the free Nouveau ?

>> When it does eventually boot, the next lines are:
>> [48.862647] nouveau 0000:04:00.0: bus: MMIO write of 0000807f FAULTat >>100c18 >> [48.945694] nouveau 0000:04:00.0: bus: MMIO write of 0000807e FAULTat >>100c1c
>> ... and then normal boot.

Unfortunatly I don't have a fix to offer outside of trying to switch to Nvidia proprietary drivers and see if it helps. If you are already using Nvidia drivers then you need to blacklist Nouveau, and maybe also add "nomodeset" to your kernel boot parameters.

As Tomás said trying a live usb system, one with different kernel and Nouveau versions could help you pinpoint the origin.

Hope it helps.