Re: Stretch stuck on boot

On Sun, Jan 28, 2018 at 02:04:54PM +0000, Daniel Nemenyi wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> My laptop has for the second time got stuck on boot, and a seemingly
> random number of hard reboots has been necessary to get it running. This
> obviously worries me. I'm running Debian Stretch with full disk
> encryption and, after grub, this is what happens:
>
>  WARNING: Failed to connect to lvmetad. Falling back to device scanning.

FWIW, I think this one is normal: the LVM metadata daemon isn't up yet
at this early stage (I can observe that warning in my boot process too).

>  Volume group "hostname-vg" not found
>  Cannot process volume group hostname-vg

Normal too: they will be there after cryptsetup unlocks things down
there:

> Please unlock sda3_crypt: # password inserted
>  WARNING: Failed to connect to lvmetad. Falling back to device scanning.
>  Reading all physical volumes. This may take a while...
>  Found volme group "hostname-vg" using metadata type lvm2
>  WARNING: Failed to connect to lvmetad. Falling back to device scanning.
>  2 logical volume(s) in volume group "hostname-vg" now active.
> cryptsetup (sda3_crypt): set up successfully
> /dev/mapper/hostname--vg-root: clean 927829/14712832, 50294056/58823680
> blocks.

Up to this, things look pretty normal.

> At that point it gets stuck. The other time this happened the numbers
> were different (lower)
>
> When it does eventually boot, the next lines are:
> [48.862647] nouveau 0000:04:00.0: bus: MMIO write of 0000807f FAULTat 100c18
> [48.945694] nouveau 0000:04:00.0: bus: MMIO write of 0000807e FAULTat 100c1c
> ... and then normal boot.
>
> Is this a sign of the end of my laptop or SSD or is there something I
> can do?

Given the intermittent nature, I'd lean towards flaky hardware (not
necessarily the SSD). What happens if you try to boot from an external
medium (e.g. a rescue system on a stick)?

Ah, and while you are at it (and get your box to boot once more), make
a backup :)

Cheers
- -- tomás