Re: kernel 4.14.15 compilation using GCC 8 in unstable.......

On 27 January 2018 at 13:38, Michael Lange <klappnase@freenet.de> wrote:
Hi,

On Sat, 27 Jan 2018 13:12:13 +0000
Michael Fothergill <michael.fothergill@gmail.com> wrote:

> ​I think I will sign up on the gcc gnu help page and ask people if they
> have a test case file I can run to 100% confirm the GCC 8 compiler is
> running properly.​
> ​Once I am convinced it is then the next stage is to try to talk to the
> developers who maintain the make-kpkg program.

are you still using gcc-8? Here this one didn't work at all for me,
compiling always aborted early with compiler errors. It worked
immediately though after I removed ggc-8 and upgraded gcc-7 to v. 7.3
from sid.

​In my case after I took you helpful advice and installed libelf-dev in GCC 8 (which I am still using)  the crash I had went away.........

I think now GCC 8 is close to working OK.

Perhaps it needs another little nudge or some other package we don't know about.

I have sent the gnu gcc help people the following email:

**************************

Dear All,

I am running debian unstable on an amd64 kaveri box.

I recently installed GCC 8 from the Debian experimental site:

https://packages.debian.org/experimental/devel/gcc-8

I also installed libelf-dev.

It did run correctly without it.

I have been using it to try to compile and install linux kernel 4.14.15 using the
debian package make-kpkg.

The output from doing this is here:

https://pastebin.com/sgrhdCKW

I copied over the config file from/boot and ran make-clean and the command:  yes "" | make oldconfig before running make-kpkg.

Kernel compilations I do in gentoo usually take a while.

This ran too quickly I think.

Something is not quite right here.

Perhaps some more depedent packages needed to be installed to make GCC8 run happily.

Do you have a test file I can compile that will check whether GCC 8 is really running correctly?

The discussions on these two threads are relevant:

We are all trying to compile kernels that defeat the meltdown and spectre vulnerabilities.

Comments appreciated.

Regards

​MF​

************************************

Maybe they can help here.

Cheers

MF

Regards

Michael

        "It's hard to believe that something which is neither seen nor
felt can do so much harm."
        "That's true.  But an idea can't be seen or felt.  And that's
what kept the Troglytes in the mines all these centuries.  A mistaken
idea."
                -- Vanna and Kirk, "The Cloud Minders", stardate 5819.0