Re: Akonadi problem

On Fri, 26 Jan 2018, rhkramer@gmail.com wrote:

> Just a data point
>
>    * kmail in Wheezy does not need Akonadi--if kmail in a later version of
> Debian requires Akonadi, I'll be looking for another email client.
>
> Oh, to be a little more precise, Akonadi is on the system, and it restarts at
> every boot (I boot very rarely, maybe 2 to 4 times a year, and really, only in
> the case of problems).  The first thing I do after rebooting is to stop
> Akonadi.  Thus, it neither slows down my system nor uses memory (disk or RAM)
> (beyond a nominal amount).

I used kmail for about 2 yrs on jessie.  It worked very well, but I was
never able to use it without akonadi running.  I was able to login without
akonadi starting automatically though, by turning off every calendar,
event, contact app, kim/pimdoodad, etc. especially in the tray and the
clock, and krunner search plugins.  (easy to miss those)

When starting kmail, akonadi started automatically and everything worked
fine.

I haven't used kmail on stretch yet, but from what I have found akonadi
can be 'disabled' in the same way.  Don't use anything that needs it.

L8r,
bw