Re: Question on CVE-2017-5754 on Debian 8.9

Greg Wooledge:

> To use a package from experimental, you must download it directly, and
> install it directly.  You don't use apt or its cousins, unless it's
> to backfill dependencies (apt-get -f install) from your actual release.

Everything you wrote is correct but this paragraph.

You can use apt or aptitude for packages in experimental and I see no
reason against doing that. You do not even need to pin experimental.
Packages from experimental are automatically assigned priority 1, except
upgrades for packages that you installed from experimental.

That means you can add experimental to your sources.list and apt will
not automatically upgrade your packages from testing/sid to the versions
from experimental. But when you manually select a version from
experimental (using '-t experimantal'), apt will automatically upgrade
to newer versions available from experimental. And when testing/sid
contains a newer version, the one from experimental will be replaced by
that one.

J.
--
I am on the payroll of a company to whom I owe my undying gratitude.
[Agree]   [Disagree]