Re: stretch and DNS name resolution service for other devices on a LAN

Le 23/01/2018 à 18:08, David Wright a écrit :

[My Laptop] --- wireless connection IPv4 --- [Router] --- Internet Modem
      |                                         / |
      | CAT5 cable IPv6                        /  |
      |                                       /   | wireless/wired
[My Desktop] --- wireless connection IPv4 __/    | connections
                                                  | IPv4

                                                 [TVs]

Both devices will allocate themselves an address in the 'link local' range,
and these addresses can then be used for communicating between the devices.

They can, but they should not be used with application-layer protocols. Really. IPv6 link local addresses are not meant for this.

On disadvantage is that these addresses are not globally unique (the link local prefix exists on all interfaces) and must be appended with an interface name. The second disadvantage is that if the interface is replaced for whatever reason, the interface name may change and the MAC address will change. The link local addresses is based on the MAC addresses, so it will change too. IMO, simple static configuration with a ULA prefix, or with a global prefix if you own one, would be much reliable.

So Andy is right : you could use IPv4 for this. But rather with static configuration than unpredictable APIPA assignments.