Following full-upgrade panel icons cannot display the image files

Setup: Running stretch as guest vm on Openindiana (a solaris 11 off
shoot) inside Virtualbox

Using lxde desktop, but set to boot into console mode, and I use
startx to get to X with I want it.

Following a startx, I see the buttons on bottom panel just show a
white rectangle with red X in it.

I see the image files they point to at /usr/share/lxde/images/
are present.

I tried chowning that directory to my user with

   sudo chown -R reader:reader /usr/share/lxde/images

on the off chance there is a permission problem somewhere in that
chain.

But appears to make no difference

It must be some kind of clue that the images are not able to display,
but I'm not figuring out what it is.