Re: PDF displayed incorrectly by certain software

My guess is Adobe's security features are getting in your way. Files have to be unprotected before any full accessibility checks can be done on them and the security protection adobe put in on their newer pdf files defeats accessibility checking when enabled. If whatever software you use does not completely disable adobe's security protection, I think it entirely reasonable the protection at most would fail to show full contents of the files.

On Tue, 23 Jan 2018, Ionel Mugurel Ciob?c? wrote:

Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2018 19:57:39
From: Ionel Mugurel Ciob?c? <I.M.Ciobica@upcmail.nl>
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: PDF displayed incorrectly by certain software

On 22-01-2018, at 18h 28'13", Greg Marks wrote about "PDF displayed incorrectly by certain software"
I have encountered a peculiar situation where a PDF file displays as
gibberish with certain PDF viewers but displays correctly with others.
[...]
numerous "Missing or bad Type3 CharProc entry" syntax errors) followed by
[...]

I encounter similar issue with my bank statements... xpdf will not
show any glyphs, only lines and logo, same as okular; gv on the other
hand will show everything. The pdf files are version 1.4. Funny is
that older files (still 1.4) will show fine with xpdf and okular. Only
newer ones have this issue... xpdf will spit out few hundreds times
Syntax Error: "Missing or bad Type3 CharProc entry".

I can't ping point the difference between the older files and the
newer ones, except the size. The newer ones are more than twice the
size: older files 120K, newer ones 270K. The files are mostly binary
with some ASCII. For example in older files, line 4 starts with this:
"<</ColorSpace[/Indexed/DeviceRGB 255("
while in the newer files line 4 starts with this:
"<</Type/XObject/ColorSpace[/Indexed/DeviceRGB 255(".

I assume that is something wrong with the fonts. The newer files may
be less permissive to substitute fonts when viewed. Some pdf viewer
chose to ignore that or not.

I do not know how to fix it, nor to explain what is going on.

Ionel