Re: exim4 on Debian stretch

On Sat 20 Jan 2018 at 18:59:34 (+0000), Brian wrote:
> On Fri 19 Jan 2018 at 18:07:49 +0000, J.W. Foster wrote:
>
> >  David this is the file you requested. any help is much appreciated.
>
> [Snipped and rearranged]
> >
> > dc_eximconfig_configtype='internet'
> > dc_other_hostnames=mydomain.net'
> > dc_local_interfaces='127.0.0.1;192.168.xx.xx'
> > dc_readhost=''
> > dc_relay_domains=''
> > dc_minimaldns='false'
> > dc_relay_nets=''
> > dc_smarthost=''
> > CFILEMODE='644'
> > dc_use_split_config='true'
> > dc_hide_mailname=''
> > dc_mailname_in_oh='true'
> > dc_localdelivery='mail_spool'
>
> Very acceptable, although I would have dc_local_interfaces as the
> default presented by 'dpkg-reconfigure exim4-config' while getting the
> server working reliably.
>
> I would also completely revert everything you have done with exim by
> purging it and starting again. All those bits t-machine recommends need
> testing one by one by restarting exim4 after every change. I note
>
>  Jan 17 07:24:34 myserver exim4[18538]:   option "AND" unknown
>
> and "AND" occurs in some of the advice given in your link,

Yes. I hadn't looked at that web page until today. My guess was
based on what was being set in the locality of that line number.

However, I'm running exim4 and it appears that we won't even have
the same version installed if these instructions are being followed.

Paul's comment (there) would suggest that great care is needed
with such a complicated setup. It looks as if it's easy for
database *commands* to get accidentally passed to exim rather than
the database's data.

In view of "Any suggestions for what to do with exim4 to get it
restarted. I do not know what the error messeges here are
referencing. Im very inexperienced with setting up email.",
Adam's closing comment is probably worth revisiting.

Cheers,
David.