Re: exim4 on Debian stretch

On Wed, 17 Jan 2018 14:38:44 -0600
John Foster <jfoster81747@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have been following a process for setting up my e-mail server, link
> below:
>
> http://t-machine.org/index.php/2014/06/27/webmail-on-your-debian-server-exim4-dovecot-roundcube/
>
>  After doing all the steps I finally got to restart everything with
> the following commands
> 1 /etc/init.d/apache2 restart
> 2 /etc/init.d/exim4 restart
> 3 /etc/init.d/dovecot restart
> apache2 and dovecot restarted as expected but exim4 failed with this
> message:
>

> Myuser@myserver/home/frosty# update-exim4.conf
> 2018-01-17 08:41:17 Exim configuration error in line 576 of
> /var/lib/exim4/config.autogenerated.tmp:
>   option "AND" unknown
> Invalid new configfile /var/lib/exim4/config.autogenerated.tmp, not
> installing
> /var/lib/exim4/config.autogenerated.tmp to
> /var/lib/exim4/config.autogenerated
>
> Myuser@myserver/home/frosty# /etc/init.d/dovecot restart
> [ ok ] Restarting dovecot (via systemctl): dovecot.service.
>

> anyone here that tried this?
> Any suggestions for what to do with exim4 to get it restarted.
> I do not know what the error messeges here are referencing.

Neither do we. The broken file referred to is basically a program with
subroutines, some external. We don't know what line 576 contains.

The first step would be to copy and paste here that line 576, with two
or three lines before and after it. If the code is inline, we can
probably make some suggestion for improvement, if it refers to a macro
we would need to look a bit further. But with luck, there is an obvious
syntax error on line 576 itself. As the file is autogenerated, it isn't
going to be a typo, but it's probably looking for a variable that isn't
initialised, or something like that. It might conceivably be a typo in
a user configuration file which gets built into this autogenerated one.

I doubt that the exim4 configuration is standard enough that someone
else can find the answer from their own line 576. The version of exim4
I'm running is older and does its configuration differently, so I
can't help directly.

--
Joe