Re: looking for drawing program to inscribe a square in a circle and label items

On Fri 19 Jan 2018 at 19:50:11 (-0800), Dan Hitt wrote:
> I'm looking for a gui drawing program that will let me, for example,
> draw a circle, inscribe a square in the circle, connect the opposite
> edges of the square with line segments, draw the diagonals of the
> square, and label the vertices, edges, and regions of the figure.
>
> So, something like xfig, except that it should have geometrically
> describable grouping or linking options.  (You can glue objects
> together with xfig, but afaik not link them loosely, like through a
> point of tangency.)
>
> I.e., if i draw two primitives (like a square and a circle), then it
> should be possible to demand that they stay tangent, or that the
> corners of the square be on the cricle (inscription), and these
> relations will continue to hold if one primitive or the other is
> resized or scaled or moved (and the relations should be recorded as
> some kind of constraints in the file format).
>
> Maybe some kind of svg editor is capable of doing this?
>
> Anyhow, tia for any pointers.

That sounds very much like Cabri Géomètre at http://www.cabri.net/
but it's not available for linux, except possibly in a java/browser
version. Note that it's also of French origin.

You might want to scour https://alternativeto.net/software/cabri/
for possibilities.

Cheers,
David.