Re: Banishing UUIDs from grub

On Thu 18 Jan 2018 at 11:52:11 (-0500), Marc Auslander wrote:
> Dave Sherohman <dave@sherohman.org> writes:
>
> >What is the recommended method for preventing grub from using UUIDs to
> >refer to filesystems in the current Debian stable distribution?
> >

> I don't know about "recommended" but could you put your own menu
> entry into /etc/grub.d and make it the default?

I prefer to let grub do the grunt work and then run a filter over
grub.cfg. I use LABELs myself; the filter finds the necessary
information in /run/udev/data and performs substitutions of --fs-uuid
options, root=UUID= and the UUIDs themselves. (It also mangles, to my
taste, the menuentry_id_option strings etc a little further.)
It takes no time to run a filter whenever grub.cfg gets rebuilt.

I don't encrypt system partitions or use VMs so I don't know how
well a filtering scheme would translate to that.

Cheers,
David.