Re: Problem using "dpkg -i"

On 2018-01-16, Michael Lange <klappnase@freenet.de> wrote:
> On Tue, 16 Jan 2018 11:13:05 +0000 (UTC)
> Curt <curty@free.fr> wrote:
>
>> On 2018-01-16, Michael Lange <klappnase@freenet.de> wrote:
>> >
>> > To the OP:
>> > a quick web search showed another alternative that (iirc) has not been
>> > mentioned before, see http://bluegriffon.org/ . I don't know anything
>> > about this program, except that it appears to be commercial but open
>> > source and they have a deb package available (which may or may not
>> > work with debian) and it apparently can be used for free with a
>> > somewhat reduced feature set.
>>
>>  Buy User's Manual
>>  €7.50 (+VAT inside EU).
>>
>> Software whose user manual is for sale; sign me up, please, that's for
>> me!
>
> Yes sure, I did not intend to advertise that app.
> But then, if you buy the "basic" license (for just 75.00 €) you get the
> manual for free!! :-)

I was wondering about that. So you if you download the free and crippled
version, and don't want to pay 7.50 €, you're on your own.

Apparently they like decimal multiples of 7.50 (I'm guessing a lifetime update
and license option must cost 750.00).

My brief visit to the site did not reveal to me the system requirements
for the app; maybe I missed them somehow (or maybe they're not there).

> Still, if one is looking for such a tool there are not too many
> competitors out there. If the free version is usable without buying the
> manual I cannot tell (and I do not feel much inclination to find out).
> And besides, I don't think we should condemn the developers because they
> try to earn money with the work they are doing. Some way or other all of
> us have to earn their living. At least they give away a free and open
> source version of their app and sell the manual, I think that is better
> than the other way around.

Yes, but before I take a test drive I like to read the manual first.
Maybe I'm funny that way.

--
Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, and have not charity, I
am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.  And though I have the gift