Re: Stretch Lite

On Mon, 2018-01-15 at 12:53 +0000, Brian wrote:
> On Sun 14 Jan 2018 at 17:42:57 -0500, Felix Miata wrote:
>
> > David composed on 2018-01-14 17:54 (UTC):
> >
> > > I know there is a version of Rasbian called Stretch Lite.
> >
> > > Is there a version of Debian to run headless without the excess clutter
> > > of office etc?
> >
> > > I've tried removing the bits I don't need, but made an awful mess of it,
> > > better not to load it in the first place.
> >
> > Start the installer with the following included on the boot cmdline:
> >
> > 	tasks=standard base-installer/install-recommends=false
> >
> > All my own installations start that way, normally as a part of network
> > installation, downloading little in advance of starting the installation:
> >
> > 	https://www.debian.org/CD/netinst/
>
> Note that base-installer/install-recommends=false only kicks in
> after the base system is installed. Base files are installed with
> debootstrap, which does not install Recommends:. I'm unsure much
> is really saved here as the standard packages tend not to have a
> reliance on recommended packages.

Many thanks for all the suggestions, I've got a thin client to load with
Debian, I'll try them out.

Previous thin clients I've loaded with Debian 7 due to Debian 8 being
too bloated for these minimal machines, and another with windoze XP, and
I managed to get the XP one to use the internal flash drive, the others
I used an SSD. All thin clients along with the Pi's I use run headless.

David.