Re: history issue - bug?

On Sun, 14 Jan 2018, rhkramer@gmail.com wrote:

> On Sunday, January 14, 2018 12:14:47 PM bw wrote:
> > On Sun, 14 Jan 2018, Hans wrote:
> > > Am Sonntag, 14. Januar 2018, 08:41:21 CET schrieb David Wright:
> > > Hi David,
> > >
> > > thanks for enlightening me. I always though, that "history -c" would
> > > clear all the history and its files as the help file says:
> > >
> > > -c        clear the history list by deleting all of the entries
> > >
> > > So IMO this should delete all related history files, even bash_history.
> >
> > Shouldn't it do what it says it will do?
> >
> > It says "clear... the list" it does not say delete files.  I can't answer
> > the question about how long it has been this way, but I'm sure it is
> > documented, so maybe look that up before fiing a bug about it?
>
> I don't know if I want to comment or not.  To me, it takes a fairly savvy user
> to recognize that list and file are not synonymous--for many casual users
> (including me, and I consider myself generally as something more than just a
> casual user), that documentation is not sufficient.

I agree it's easy to be misled.  I have filed bugs several times when the
problem was my understanding.  Luckily, the debian maintainers are patient
and for the most part very kind about it.

Nothing wrong with trying to find a bug, but with very old, very used
components it's probably not all that common?