Re: System won't boot anymore after upgrade to jessie

On Thu 11 Jan 2018 at 20:26:24 (+0100), deloptes wrote:
> Greg Wooledge wrote:
>
> > I don't actually know how many cpio archives are concatenated together
> > in that image.  At least two, obviously, with the first uncompressed
> > and the second gzipped.
>
> This kernel is custom, produced on one stretch system. On other stretch
> system another custom image is as you describe it. Something must be
> responsible for producing those images on stretch in different format. Who
> knows what is that exactly - would save me some time - is it automatically
> done by size or an option somewhere?

It seems likely that it's because you can add blobs to a preexisting
initramfs without polluting it/having to unpack and repack it. Greg's
example seems to contain an Intel blob. Not compressing it could be
down to futility, or even licence restrictions (not "hiding" it).

https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/243657/appending-files-to-initramfs-image-reliable

BTW the necessity of directories to be unpacked before their contents
still pertains, ie ignore the trick in "cpio -o"'s manpage about using
find … -depth   to create archives in case you are tempted.

Cheers,
David.