Re: [Diagnostic Summary] Re: Strange message during boot

On 01/12/2018 09:29 AM, David Wright wrote:
On Fri 12 Jan 2018 at 06:19:57 (-0600), Richard Owlett wrote:
On 01/11/2018 01:43 PM, David Wright wrote:
On Thu 11 Jan 2018 at 11:10:33 (-0600), Richard Owlett wrote:
I multi-boot several varieties of Debian.
When booting one specific install, it displays many repetitions of:
Begin: Running /scripts/local-block ... done.

It then proceeds to bring up an apparently normal system.
[…]
sda8 - The problem install is Debian 8. It had been my primary work
      install until I trashed some data files. It has been kept to
      reconstruct those files as I have time.

Two questions: When did this start happening?

Not sure. Noticed it recently after fixing a long standing problem
involving a bad UUID for the swap partition.

Perhaps it's no coincidence then that the Wanderer's earlier
forum reference concerns a swap partition's UUID.

I had attempted to follow his suggestion. Lost my log of doing it.
Will rerun this weekend.

Debian installer
automatically changes the swap's UUID when a partition already
identified as "swap partition" is used. I can sort-of see why it's
done, but I find it a *NUISANCE* ;<

Workarounds, including mine, have already been posted in response to
your earlier threads here on this topic.

In view of the portion quoted above, why bother?

A forensic/educational analysis of just what I did to mess up what
had been a nice and well working system.
There may still be useful data there.

A forensic analysis of a vague error message (which took a day to be
solicited) over this list? Seems unlikely.

I thought you were asking "Why am I interested in keeping that partition around?" As to forensics, I know "what I did to mess up the usefulness of that install". I'm interested in "why didn't my recovery attempts work" - a very different threat than this.

Also, there are programs there I use rarely that I don't want to
lose for now, but can't justify adding to current install. When disk
space becomes critical, I'll likely move it to a flash drive.

GB/$ disk vs flash is still quite high.

Yes. But there is, for my goals, a favorable cost/benefit ratio.
It has been mentioned before that many consider my goals strange.

Cheers,
David.