Re: Strange message during boot

On 2018-01-11 at 09:36, Richard Owlett wrote:

> On 01/11/2018 07:26 AM, rhkramer@gmail.com wrote:
>
>> On Thursday, January 11, 2018 05:29:42 AM Richard Owlett wrote:
>>
>>> OOPS, typos and awkward phrasing. It should have read:
>>> When booting one specific install, it displays many repetitions of the
>>> line to the effect that it is beginning a specific script.
>>
>> Did it give you the name of the specific script?
>>
>> Perhaps it would help if you shared that here (along with as much of the
>> message as you can duplicate (presumably from memory or after doing a reboot).
>

> Did a reboot with pen and paper at hand.
> The line is:
>> Begin: Running /scrips/local-block ... done.

Does it really say 'scrips' rather than 'scripts'?

Googling on that error message (with the presumed typo corrected) leads
me to http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=133578 as a first
hit.

'dlocate scripts/local-block' finds three packages on my system:
cryptsetup, lvm2, and mdadm. Results on your system may differ. I would
suggest running that command on your system and investigating the
resulting list of packages.

> As to other suggestions:
>
> journactl -xb yields:

That should be 'journalctl'.

>> root@stretch-2nd:~# journactl -xb > testlog.txt
>> bash: journactl: command not found
>> root@stretch-2nd:~#
>
> Installed bootlogd with Synaptic. /var/log/bootlog does not exist after
> multiple boots
>
> However, /var/log/boot contains:
>> (Nothing has been logged yet. If you're still seeing this message your current init system might not write bootup messages to the system console at all.)

What init system are you running?

Usually, this can be determined by 'dlocate /sbin/init', but I can't
guarantee that that will hold for all systems.

--
   The Wanderer