Re: Why was this package removed but apt?

Hi!

On Wed, 2018-01-10 at 11:17 +0100, Jonathan Sélea wrote:
> I am trying to figure out why apt did remove this particular package
> when unattended-upgrade ran a couple of days ago:

The most likely explanation is that it was automatically-installed as a
dependency of another package, and an update to that other package has
removed the dependency. But I'm only guessing: it would be nice if
unattended-upgrades documented the rationale more.

You could look at "apt rdepends php7.1-mbstring" and see if you have
any of the packages installed, and if any of those were updated at the
same time.