UID 1000 on Raspberry Pi (Was: Re: Embarrassing security bug in systemd)

On Sun, Dec 10, 2017 at 10:17:12PM -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Sunday 10 December 2017 19:02:49 David Wright wrote:
>
> > On Sun 10 Dec 2017 at 16:43:02 (-0500), Gene Heskett wrote:

[...]

> This I'd guess is important, if you have several users. I don't, except
> for amanda and nut, and thats only on this machine. All the rest have
> one user, me, known under various aliases because the idiot installer is
> now set to give the first user the machines name like pi or rock64. I
> spent a month trying to fix user 1000 to be me instead of pi on the pi.

On the Pi, this is what worked for me:

1. Add a new user (and add him to group sudo). This user gets ID 1001.
   $ sudo adduser tempuser
   $ sudo adduser tempuser sudo

2. Log out of user pi and log in as the newly created user.

3. Delete user pi (pi must not have any processes running)
   $ sudo deluser pi

4. Add the desired username:
   $ sudo adduser gene

Since no 1000 exists anymore you get UID 1000. If desired,
delete the temporary user and the deleted users' home directories.

It's possible the raspi-config utility might have a problem performing
certain actions with no pi user existing so you might want to be a bit
careful and make sure initial configuration is done before trying
this.

--
Jason