Re: How to create a PDF-Printer from the command line

On 2018-01-08, David Wright <deblis@lionunicorn.co.uk> wrote:

>> Which txt2pdf? I tried the DFSG free one at
>>
>> https://github.com/baruchel/txt2pdf
>>
>> Not in Debian, AFAICT, but download, put in /usr/local/bin and install
>> python-reportlab. Gives searchable PDFs, fonts can be selected more
>> easily than with cupsfilter or cups-pdf and it has UTF-8 support. Looks
>> useful.
>
> Indeed. It seems a lot faster than paps+ps2pdf too. I can see myself
> using this, though I'll keep my paps function as well, as it appears
> to be able to make substitutions for missing glyphs. It's handy to
> have a function that prints *something* at every position (except
> the strip at 0x80), with those little blobs containing 4 hex chars
> where there's no glyph. paps also does columns.
>
> The default fault in txt2pdf is Courier→Nimbus Mono AFAICT, which is
> very limited. The unifont TTF font has far more characters, but
> the quality is very poor (deliberately, but looks like a bitmapped font).
> I also haven't figured out line-numbering: I'll have to study the script.
> Searchability is a useful extra (I'm used to just searching the original
> text source file).

It seems very swift. I tried line-numbering with the '--line-numbers'
argument, but got no line numbers (which is not what I was expecting).

Then I tried the '--page-numbers' argument, expecting to see page
numbers (and I did, centered at the bottom).

You can change the default font ('--font' or '-f' <full-path-to-ttf>,
but I'm sure you know that already).

--
"An autobiography is only to be trusted when it reveals something disgraceful.
A man who gives a good account of himself is probably lying, since any life