Re: Weired package policy

On 2018-01-07 at 10:26, Floris wrote:

> Op Sun, 07 Jan 2018 15:58:57 +0100 schreef Hans
> <hans.ullrich@loop.de>:
>
>> Hi folks,
>>
>> there is a thing, I cannot understand.
>>
>>> From time to time, there appear packages, which are in stable
>>> for a long time, and then suddenly they are in unstable and
>>> stable, but NOT in testing.
>>
>> This is a policy, I do not understand! An actual example is
>> "cqrlog" which appears in stable and sid, but not in testing.
>>
>> For my feeling, I would expect "cqrlog" in testing, too, maybe in
>> the same version as in stable, but not fully disappeared.
>
> from: https://tracker.debian.org/pkg/cqrlog
>
> testing migrations
> excuses:
> Migration status: BLOCKED: Rejected/introduces a regression (please see
> below)
> 164 days old (needed 5 days)
> Updating cqrlog introduces new bugs: #867140
>
> There is difference of opinion about the libssl version. Buster will have
> 1.1. Cqrlog depends on 1.0

I read his objection as being to the policy about what should be done
when a bug bad enough to warrant removing that package version from
testing is identified.

Currently, the policy is that when that happens, the package is removed
from testing.

I read him as saying that the policy *should* be that when such a bug is
identified, the version from stable (or maybe the previous
non-buggy version, from before the upload which introduced the bug)
should be reintroduced into testing.

Unfortunately, this would not work well with the way package version
numbers are handled, and I'm not sure it wouldn't be impractically
unwieldy to implement on the backend in any case.

(Plus the difficulties with dependencies; what happens when the version
which would be reintroduced depends on an older version of another
package, and the newer version is already in testing and does not itself
have such a bug?)

--
   The Wanderer