Re: Experiences with BTRFS -- is it mature enough for enterprise use?

Pascal Hambourg wrote:

> The kernel cannot use UUIDs to mount the root filesystem. Using UUIDs
> requires an initramfs.

I forgot to mention that UUID is not meant to be used (only) by the kernel
or the initrd, but by GRUB - to find the boot md - no idea how it works but
it works.

Those machines were running lilo and grub1 and now grub2 - I never looked
into it. There is a process to upgrade kernel and it works fine.
Perhaps you are right that we need to plan doing it "the modern" way, but I
doubt that one would agree to change partition types etc

regards