Re: Experiences with BTRFS -- is it mature enough for enterprise use?

Pascal Hambourg wrote:

> Best for what ?

for booting of raid

> Who still uses RAID arrays without persistent superblocks ?

historic reasons - systems aged 10y+

> Who still uses RAID assembly by the kernel instead of mdadm ?

same as above

> All this has beed obsoleted by the superblock format 1.x and the use of
> an initrd or initramfs.

true :)
man mdadm
"In-kernel autodetect is not recommended for new installations."

> By the way, if you compile md in the kernel, you should also compile all
> necessary host controller and disk drivers in. And expect failure with
> current drivers which do not guarantee that a given disk gets the same
> device name at each boot.

While your statement is true, I personally use UUID (/etc/fstab) and have no
problem with it at all.

Overall summary - you are right - it should not be needed nowdays

regards