Re: show searched packages including versions

On Wed, Jan 03, 2018 at 04:15:51PM -0500, Felix Miata wrote:
>   mc was bad example. Currently booted is Jessie. Installed kernels are 3.16 and
> 4.8. What command shows me the newest available linux-image version available
> anywhere that's been configured in sources.list?

Assuming you are on an amd64 system, then this:

apt-cache show linux-image-amd64

The package 'linux-image-amd64' is a meta package which always depend on
the latest available linux-image-* package for the architecture (in this
case, amd64).

If you are interested in knowing which repository in your sources.list
has that package available, then you want this:

apt-cache policy linux-image-amd64

Regards,

-Roberto

--