Re: Is there a way to know the ISP with the default installation of Stretch?

On Tue, Jan 02, 2018 at 04:03:46PM -0000, Dan Purgert wrote:
> Max Power wrote:
> > My problem is to know the ISP [e.g. GATEWAY = Vodafone, Telecom or AT&T]
> > before starting browsing or any remote connection...
>
> Checking the hostname of an RFC1918 address will nearly never provide
> you with an ISP's name, even if you do it on a residential-gateway
> device provided by them.

I think the issue here is that he has some sort of unique setup in
which this name resolution actually DOES provide meaningful information,
much to the surprise of everyone else on the mailing list.

Unfortunately, he doesn't realize that this is atypical, so he doesn't
know enough to report it to us as part of his question.

Also unfortunately, we don't know what he's actually DOING with this
name resolution information, so we can't help him.

Most particularly, we don't know what the various ISP choices are that
he has, what the gateways of those ISPs are, what the name resolutions
of those gateways of those ISPs are, or what he wants to do in each of
the known, possible cases that he may encounter.

THAT is the kind of information we would need in order to help him.