Re: [ADDENDUM] File permission confusion [Debian 9.1 with MATE]

On Mon 01 Jan 2018 at 05:37:15 -0600, Richard Owlett wrote:

> On 01/01/2018 05:23 AM, Richard Owlett wrote:
> > As user "richard" I created 3 files.
> > I later wanted to protect them totally from accidental change.
> > For each file, I went to Properties->Permissions and changed Access for
> > Owner, Group, and Others to "Read Only".
> > As user "richard" I was able to delete them with Caja.
> > *UNDESIRABLE*
> > As "root" I changed Owner and Group to "root" leaving Access for all as
> > "Read Only".
> >
> > User "richard" could still *DELETE THEM*!
> > "Read Only" evidently does not mean what it implies.
> >
> > What's happening?
> > TIA
>
> Logged into Debian as "richard" SeaMonkey was able to change contents of
> those files.
>
> HELP!
> That is EXACTLY what I was trying to prevent.

It's your house - you can do whatever you want in it. You can put labels
on bottles of wine which say "do not drink before February 2018". Then
you can ignore them! :). Life's like that.

You invite someone into your house; don't give them the key to your
drinks cupboard. "Drink only" for the owner. :)

You want to prevent yourself opening the cupboard? Either try to
exercise some self-control or hide the key somewhere you are likely to
forget about (not that you will and, in any case, thers's nothing a good
hammar cannot readjust).

Cease wanting to be nannied and cosseted by the OS and having your every
actions constrained by external agents. Debian lets you do what *you*
want in your home directory.

You've just deleted a file you desperately wanted to keep? Never mind,
Next time you might think more clearly.

--
Brian.