[ADDENDUM] File permission confusion [Debian 9.1 with MATE]

On 01/01/2018 05:23 AM, Richard Owlett wrote:
As user "richard" I created 3 files.
I later wanted to protect them totally from accidental change.
For each file, I went to Properties->Permissions and changed Access for
Owner, Group, and Others to "Read Only".
As user "richard" I was able to delete them with Caja.
*UNDESIRABLE*
As "root" I changed Owner and Group to "root" leaving Access for all as
"Read Only".

User "richard" could still *DELETE THEM*!
"Read Only" evidently does not mean what it implies.

What's happening?
TIA

Logged into Debian as "richard" SeaMonkey was able to change contents of those files.

HELP!
That is EXACTLY what I was trying to prevent.