Re: please help! debain won't boot

On Wed, 13 Dec 2017 01:41:15 -0800 Jason Brenkus
<jasonbrenkus@gmail.com> wrote:

> I am a novice to linux, and I'm in over my head. I'm not sure what
> went wrong or went. I am running Jessie. On startup the pc begins to
> load and then goes to a screen with nothing but a cursor. Then
> nothing happens no matter how long i wait. If i boot in to recover
> mode i get a screen that says #IPv6: ADDRCONF (NETDEV_CHANGE): eth0:
> link becomes ready. And no amount of waiting changes it. I had
> trouble getting the correct drivers for my gpu which is a amd radeon
> r9 270 i believe. The last thing i did before the system didn't boot
> was install a mining program.

Did you read, study and follow the iinstructions in the Installation
Manual for Jessie?

If you got a screen with a cursor, I'd say X, the Linux graphic server
is running, but the login manager and/or desktop software did not load.
You probably made a mistake during the install.

Before wasting more time, read the Installation Manual thoroughly, and
reinstall Jessie.  Don't worry about the "correct driver" for your
gpu.  See how the system works with what the installer chooses.

Also, the Debian site has a lot of HELPME docs to familiarize you with
Debian.  Take the time to read some of them.

And remember: Linux isn't Windows.  So, don't assume what you do on
Windows to get things to work will work on Linux.