Re: unison compatibility in stretch

On Sun, 10 Dec 2017 12:25:42 +0000
Tony van der Hoff <lists@vanderhoff.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> For years I've been using unison to keep common files amongst my
> various systems.
>
> I now find that stretch provides version 2.48, whereas Jessie provided
> 2.40, and they are not compatible. My server, which still runs Jessie,
> will therefore not accept connections from my desktop box.
>
> In the passt, I've always worked round this by installing the lower
> version on my desktop and adjusted the links. This appears no lnger to
> be possible.
>
> Does anyone know how to get round this? (I've no immediate intention
> to upgrade the server).

a) Do it the hard way with rsync and ssh?

b) Do it the cumbersome way by exporting samba/nfs mounts and running
Unison 'locally'?

I do the latter, as everything I want to synchronise is kept on my
server on samba shares, where it is also accessible from my Windows
laptop with FreeFileSync (yes, I do know there's a Unison for Windows).

--
Joe