Re: Upgrading from very-old Debian

On Wed, Nov 29, 2017 at 08:06:10PM +0100, deloptes wrote:
The release and upgrade notes are sufficient they state upgrade to next
release and then to next release.

Non-the-less, it's not something that many people will have attempted,
and there are quite likely to be things that might slip through the net.
Not just things within the Debian ecosystem: a machine running Lenny was
presumably installed in or around 2009, so there's nearly 9 years worth
of local sysadmin changes that might have been made.

I had few problems from wheezy to lenny,

That would be downgrading by two releases. That's bound to be
troublesome.

but almost no problem from lenny to stretch.

That's the path that OP's friend would be attempting (as lenny is
currently oldoldoldoldstable). I'm glad it worked for you, but I would
still not recommend it to anyone else.

--

⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁ Jonathan Dowland