Re: libreoffice base crashes when writing HSQLDB

On Mon, Sep 11, 2017 at 09:21:00AM +0100, Joe wrote:
> On Sun, 10 Sep 2017 23:00:49 +0200
> Flo <debianflo@gmx.at> wrote:
>
> > Dear all,
> >
> > Libreoffice is working for me except for Base.
> >
> > This means when I want to create a (or use an existing) database
> > libreoffice crashes immediately without giving any information.
> >
> > I open libreoffice and click to open a new database (HSQLDB Embedded).
                                                        ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> > Then Finish and I am asked about the name of the database. I enter
> > the name, click Save and then comes the crash. A database file is
> > created, though.
> >
> > I am using Debian testing.
> >
> > I haven't found anything in the web. Can anyone help me?
> >

> Sadly, no, Base is extremely flaky, and doesn't seem to have many
> users. Chicken and egg.

And beides Base being flaky, if you run i386 you run into the still unfixed
regression in the kernel breaking Java (well, stuff embedding the JVM) on
i386. (not on amd64).

And given the internal db is hsqldb - so *is* Java - and thus the JVM gets
initialized...

https://lwn.net/Articles/727206/
https://lwn.net/Articles/727703/

See also https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=865303 and "friends".
Somewhere there is also the boot option to disable the security(!) fix
to make Java work again.

Your fault for still using i386 then. (Don't get me wrong: the regression
should be fixed, nevertheless, sure.)

> Is there a possibility of using a different data type, or of also
> running mysql/mariadb? I have reasonable success with data access using
> mysql, the part I have major trouble with is report writing, which

Would work.

> stopped altogether for a couple of weeks recently. I had to resort to
> writing a php report generator for the specific one I needed quickly.

The Report Builder also is Java...

Regards,

Rene